ClassRoom GradeBook ™ (version
8) is a Freeware grade book program for teachers,
originally designed with Windows Vista in mind and updated for the
Windows 7 operating system. But in addition to being a
fully compatible Windows Vista / Windows 7 gradebook, it still supports previous Windows versions (e.g., XP). Its purpose is to make your record keeping and grading much easier.
It's yours for
free from our Download page.
is the culmination of many years of work on a free Gradebook Program aimed at making the difficult working life of teachers everywhere an easier one. This is the eighth version of the program--and its third metamorphosis.
Over a decade ago, in the early days of Windows 9x, "ClassRoom
Windows" appeared on the scene. Each new version introduced new and improved features. When Windows exited the 9x world and entered the
NT-based XP environment, the program--in Version 7--evolved into "ClassRoom
Portals." In preparing for the Vista / Win 7 era, the program reaches Version 8, and emerges--with a new data-file format and a multitude of new, more powerful features--as "ClassRoom GradeBook."
ClassRoom GradeBook was created by two urban public
school teachers with decades of real-world classroom
experience. The program has one basic premise. You,
the teacher, are entering a huge, enchanted "ClassRoom"
filled with many portals through which you must pass as the
term progresses. But you are not alone; your computerized "GradeBook"
will guide you through these doorways at different times during the
school year to make your record keeping and grading much more
ClassRoom GradeBook freeware, you can
- create your class or subject files [a wizard is included to assist new users]
- edit your class roster, including ID, home-contact information and comments
- enter and edit grades and attendance
- classify each grade according to type, e.g., test, quiz,
- view and print students' records in many different and useful ways
- compute and print student averages and final grades by using many options supplied by the program
- make up grades using "types"
- use the Total Points System of Grading
- view and print statistics
- follow a "roadmap" designed to help you navigate through the program
- view or print ClassRoom GradeBook's User's Guide [in PDF format]
- use context-sensitive help
- enter additional optional Supplementary Information into your
ClassRoom GradeBook data file
- print your "roll book" by Name or ID
- view and print a student's grades on your "One Student Printouts"
with different sort options, and choose to print only certain types of grades
ClassRoom GradeBook version 8 freeware includes a number of new features and
- The TOTAL length of a name you can enter has now been increased to 30 characters. This 30 character total is for combined last and first names, divided up as needed.
- The ID field has now been increased to accommodate values up to 12 characters.
- When you open a class file, you will now see a new main screen on which you can directly perform
many functions which were previously accessible only through the pull-down menu or toolbar.
- On the Main menu's Roster tab, you could decide to sort your files by Name or ID. Now you have a viewing option based on your sort choice.
- If your school (or you) keep your records only by ID and not by name, you no longer have to enter a first and last name for students. Just enter a dash (-) or another symbol when you're prompted for first or last name.
- There is now a new option if you use points to make up grades. You can choose to make up grades using points and weighted types. First you choose which testing instruments you want to include in your average and then you can give each type category a weight.
- Once you make up a grade, the options you chose in computing the average (method selected, drop lowest grade option, rounding option, etc.) will be saved and can be viewed on a summary form; therefore, you won't have to go through the preliminary make up grades screens again unless you change values that will affect your choices.
- You can now make up to three sets of your own rounding values and save each of them.
- The Extra Credit option has been strengthened. When calculating averages using Individual Items or Types, the total weights WITHOUT extra credit will equal 100. The extra credit item or type can then be given its own additional weight.
- When entering testing instruments, if a majority of the class received a certain grade, or just a few papers came in early and you have some "missing" grades, you can now use the "fill button" to fill in any "missing" grade.
- You can now enter the number of times late (tardiness) for all students.
- Changes in printing
(1) All print forms can now be printed by Name and/or ID.
(2) You can now print out all attendance periods entered.
(3) An individual testing instruments can now by printed in Rank order.
(4) When you print out grades for individual students, you can now include a summary of the grades showing how the student did in each type category.
(5) On individual student printouts, you can now ask for a parent signature. You can also print summary attendance.
- In revision 8.1, the following features have been
(1) You can now save your computed numerical average in "letter grade" form.
(2) In the Distribution/Graph Portal, statistics for any testing instrument(s) can be shown using number grades or their equivalent letter grades.
(3) Update 8.1.1 corrects a problem where maximum "points" were sometimes not displayed.
- In revision 8.2, the program has been updated to make
it Windows 7 compatible.
PRO Edition: Also included within the Freeware package of
version 8 is an optional resource for those seeking
some additional bells and whistles: a 45-day
evaluation of ClassRoom GradeBook's "Pro" edition. This edition, among other things, makes it possible for you to
- enter and append student information from a variety of text files
- save to a text file
- transfer names automatically from an existing file to a new file
- open more than one file at a time
- set up various printer and font options
- view and print color graphs of student performance
- produce multiple seating charts
- use a built-in word processor/mail merge to communicate with
- view and print your students' grades in "roll
book" format with different sort options; you can also choose to
print only certain types of grades
- use ClassRoom GradeBook to keep a full record of your Daily
- compare grades among several classes/files and produce relevant
- save forms/reports created by ClassRoom GradeBook to text
files; these files may then be edited by you and
printed or e-mailed to parents
- use a routine in ClassRoom GradeBook to send emails to
students and parents
- edit grades by student
- make up grades by assigning weights to
individual items while observing the cumulative effect of those
weights in relevant type categories
- change the order of your grade titles from the order in
which they were originally entered
- drop the lowest grade in any or all type categories when
making up grades
In addition, Version 8 adds a number of new features and
enhancements to the Pro Edition:
- A full testing instrument can now be transferred between classes. This is especially useful for teachers who keep more than one file for each class.
- You can now set margins for your printouts.
- At the print preview portal, you can not only e-mail your data, but you can now save most forms in HTML format for possible posting on a web site you might have.
- You can now print your rollbook with full titles instead of only the 3 letter codes which identify each title.
- You can now edit the names of modifiable type categories. So now, for example, the category wouldn't have to read S1 - Subject 1; you could change it to MA - Math.
- When entering daily attendance, you now have the option to view--by day and/or by student--a summary of Abs., Cut, Late, Note, and Excused.
- In addition to importing and exporting names, ID's and supplementary information as text files,
you can now import and export testing instruments (i.e., grades).
- Beginning with revision 8.1, you can now print records for students who are enrolled in several classes in a single "Combined Classes" report.
- Revision 8.2 brings Windows 7 compatibility, and
includes the following features:
(1) The program now provides a "Port" field where you can specify the Port number your Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server uses for the sending of e-mails.
(2) A problem where
the attendance grid would sometimes not print has been
- Revision 8.2.1 corrects a problem which occasionally appeared when printing a seating chart on pages larger than letter size.
For further information, please see our FAQ
[ Download ] [ Updates ] [ Register ] [ FAQs ] [ Add Student/Enter Grades/Statistics Portals ] [ Rounding/Grades/Help Portals ]